Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs DISCREET ENVISAGEMENT: "PARENTING" - How much is TOO much?

Saturday, May 19, 2012

"PARENTING" - How much is TOO much?


It has been in my mind for couple of days now and I finally decided to word my thoughts about it. I have been thinking extensively about PARENTING, specifically from Indian context. When I say India, I am precisely referring to the structuring of the families, cultural and value system and our age old traditional legacies of INDIA.
All would agree that parenting is one of the toughest jobs and more so it has to be done well. Parents take care of all the things for kids when they are small and nurture them with intent to help them to be the best possible adults. Though, as I did share last time that I am not a parent yet, but I have many parents around me – my friends, relatives, neighbors, colleagues and many more.
I get to observe them and by the virtue of being able to compare the various styles of parenting of different parents, I feel that I have created my own understanding about the process.
Oh yes! You read it right! To me, Parenting is perhaps a process, which needs to move gradually from one stage to another, evolve from one phase to another. It has to be followed with certain considerations, keeping the desired outcome in mind. You cannot call something a process unless you know what is desired out of it and what inputs would it take to get the desired result. I am attempting to seek an answer to a very basic question about parenting – How MUCH is TOO MUCH??
Read on:


3 comments:

  1. Very interesting topic to talk and write on! I feel these days, parents need to spend more quality time with their children, this being all the more important as now-a-days we have nuclear families and both the parents are working.
    Spending time with the child is more important than just splurging money on toys and gifts for him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing is too much in parenting at all......its a learning process throughout the lifetime. By the time you learn about infants, they become toddlers, by the time u know toddlers they become young kids and slowly they turn into teenager who actually teach us a lot.
    And yes you are right, parenting is a process......a neverending, thankless, exhaustive process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parenting is not in question but its the way it is being done in a few families! I am sure all will agree that dogmatic approach of parenting cannot be deemed as an effective way of raising kids. It always leave a lifelong mark on the mind and actions of kids.

    ReplyDelete